26 Jan 2017

Art & Design is Important!


Art has always been the subject that I knew I was going to go into since year 1 in primary school. I enjoyed drawing to branching into other creative subjects, such as ceramics to graphics. Growing up in my secondary and sixth form school, the Art department was small but that's what made students and teachers become friends and almost like 'second home'. Classes during A-levels were small. My class of 4 other students was tight meaning more communication with tutors. However, that's not the point... Schools has always been all about the more academic subjects and downgrading how you will not have a good career in Art. The fact that Arts subjects are decreasing to the point of being removed from the UK education system really saddens me, because it means the younger generation won't experience the creativity and arts like I and older generations did. 

Everyone should open their eyes and explore The Design Museum!
Photos: Author's Own


Everything you see, touch, and use has most likely been designed. Inventions is a part of design otherwise we wouldn't be using our iPhones, to the privilege of having ordinary necessities we have today. The way I look at design is that it's another form of Art. Pencil on paper, sketching to bring the 2D to life is a form of Art. From Fashion to Architecture to Graphics is Art. Sadly, some people don't see it, and they make comments such as how 'Art isn't important'...
I understand how people view it as Art degrees being a struggle to feed oneself, however it's the exact same with any other subjects. I can't imagine living my life without innovation, colour, and creative thinking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment